Pages

DIY Farmhouse Sign

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

There isn't much in my house that doesn't have some element of DIY or personal touch incorporated by yours truly. But recently I've gotten quite a few questions about where I have bought some of my signs and my answer has always been "I made it" so I thought I would post a little step by step tutorial of the most recent sign I made for my house in case anyone wants to save themselves some money and try their hand at DIY.



I have seen this type of farmhouse sign in a lot of the feeds that I follow and I decided I wanted to make one for my kitchen. The total cost for me was about $7 because I had most materials laying around the house and only had to pick up some trim, but if you had to buy everything I would guess the cost would be around $15 total. What was trickier was finding the time to actually do this project, since I have 3 young kids, but if I sat down and knocked it out, it probably would have only taken me and hour or two.

Aaaaaand, it doesn't require much skill at all! If you have retained any of your scissors skills from 1st  grade and can color/paint inside lines.... you can make this sign!

First I started with a piece of scrap wood we had in the garage left over from some other project and some white paint.


I printed off the letters that I wanted to use and taped them into place so that I knew the spacing on the board would be correct.


Then I cut the letters out to create a stencil of sort. This was actually one of the harder parts of this project because I had to remind myself over and over that it was OK to cut the BLACK part, but you need to leave as much of the white outline intact as possible.


I then traced out the letters with a black colored pencil.



And then filled in the letters with black paint.





The final part of the project was having my husband cut the border and attach it. I bought 2" plain molding from Home Depot and had my husband cut to size and simply nail it into the board.



Seriously, so easy. And I love how it turned out! So if you love farmhouse style like I do but want to 1) personalize it up a bit and/or 2) want an inexpensive way to achieve the look, I hope this helped!!!

~trl~














No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan